I don’t know anyone who likes to be sick. I don’t know any parent who like when their kid is sick especially if its a baby! When my son was 6 weeks old he was hospitalized (which was a very scary event that I should write about sometime) for RSV which essentially is a cold for an adult but for a baby is super dangerous. Ever since he struggles every year with breathing issues and it is scary for him. As a mom you learn to handle things you never thought you could before and for me that is puke. I have a phobia (yes its true) of throwing up but some how when my babies are I am able to stay calm and just do what is needed. This year I wanted to implement a few changes in hopes of even less sick germs this year. Last year was pretty good only one had the gastro flu and only a few strips to the hospital for breathing issues so lets see if this year can be even less.
Every night in our kids room we defuse On Guard and add Easy Air when they have colds. Every day the kids take their multi vitamins and Probiotics. Now I am no doctor but I do believe Probiotics and Vitamins are important and therefore have implemented them in our kids daily schedule and they don’t care that actually enjoy them. I am also a clean freak anyone who knows me knows that. I am OCD about cleanliness and therefore our bathrooms and household hard surfaces are cleaned and wiped every few days. Typically I use my Saje cleaner for hard surfaces and Lysol wipes for the bathrooms BUT my friends I am changing it up – I have learnt some things and I want to share with you.
My Tips for (hopefully) Avoiding Getting The Cold and Flu this year:
- Wash your hands throughly with soap and warm water – I know sounds simple but people some how forget even little people need to be reminded
- Avoid (or lower because lets face it avoiding it is really hard) your sugar intake and drink lots of water. We eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies and making sure we are eating well balanced foods. My kids also take probiotics, multi vitamins, Echinacea, Vitamin D and Elder Berry syrup daily. *Also I am NOT a Dr so please check with your Dr and do what is right for you and your kids this is just what WE do. *
- Defuse On Guard in the bedroom each night in a defuser and use Easy Breathe and Lime (helps break up mucus) in a roller on feet, back and chest when sick. . I am aware there are probably other oils we could use as well but this is what we do I don’t sell oils or anything this is what works for us but I am also always open to learn and try new things
- All hard surfaces are cleaned with Clorox Germicidal Wipes – these are the only wipes guaranteed to kill viruses such as Norovirus, Influenza A and B etc and therefore are a must in my household.
- Sleep is so important to stay healthy – Making sure all get to bed at an appropriate time and get enough hours of sleep and for each of us in our family that number differs.
Heres hoping we can all stay a bit healthier this year – do you have any tips or tricks to ward off the germs?
**UPDATE: since I wrote this post but never got to post it I am happy to report that now we are in April and we have had zero School sick days (a few runny noses and coughs) only one breathing trip to the ER (which was for the baby) so I would say these tricks work. **